Monday, April 27, 2009

J. L. Watts rightly points out some errors of Faithful witness

"J. L. Watts said...

You know, you should really check your sources before you post - it makes you look rather foolish.

The Epistles of Ignatius survive in two recensions - the Shorter and the Longer. Everyone and their brother recognizes that the Shorter Epistles are the originals, or closest to the originals. The Longer Epistles are spurious and interpolated by later Catholic Apologists. Even the Catholics accept this.

The original Epistle at this point says,

I therefore, yet not I, but the love of Jesus Christ, entreat you that you use Christian nourishment only, and abstain from herbage of a different kind; I mean heresy. For those [that are given to this] mix up Jesus Christ with their own poison, speaking things which are unworthy of credit, like those who administer a deadly drug in sweet wine, which he who is ignorant of does greedily take, with a fatal pleasure leading to his own death.

What you have posted is a fake.

I would encourage you to read this:

http://thechurchofjesuschrist.wordpress.com/category/church-fathers/ignatius-of-antioch/

And please, stop lying"



The above writing By J.L.Watts caused FW the following retraction concerning his erroneous post of Ignatius in spurious long form admitted by everyone.


"Retraction
Regrettably I have made a terrible mistake by creating the post preceding this one. I, in no way meant to deviate from the truth. My inexperience in dealing with the patristics of the church has lead the acceptance of this fraudulent information. I accept full responsibility and I will retract the post in 24 hours.

I would like to thank JL Watts for notifying me of this error. He and I differ vastly theologically, and even though I disagree with him on most topics, I appreciate his appeal for truthful historicity.

I apologize to anyone that was mislead. Test all things by scripture, hold fast to what is good". . .

2 comments:

M. R. Burgos said...

Test your doctrine today; from the pen of Edwards your doctrine will fall.

mlculwell said...

That is not how you test your doctrine? This is the mark of a false prophet! Where in scripture are we told to test our doctrine to other than the scripture? find me that passage? Your reasoning is circular. That is what Catholics do! The Reformed are nothing more than watered down Catholics.